Last week we thought our lil’ Twi-hearts had swelled to full capacity when word got out that Rob Pattinson adopted a stray dog and today his cover story in the April issue of Vanity Fair has knocked us flat on our Rob-lovin’ rumps. In the lengthy interview, accompanied by a Water For Elephants-inspired shoot that we must say is far less loin-tingling than Bruce Weber’s 2009 spread, the ever self-deprecating Rob dishes on everything from Charlie Sheen to Cops to a Pretzel M&M addiction.
Here are a dozen quotes that made our love for Rob swerve dangerously close to obsession.
12. “She was the best actor I ever worked with in my life,” Pattinson says of Tai, his Indian-elephant co-star, who lives in Southern California, where [Water For Elephants] was mostly shot. “I cried when the elephant was wrapped,” or filmed her last scene, says Pattinson. “I never cried when anyone else was wrapped.”
11. “No one recognized me or anything,” he says [referring to Lubbock, TX]. “And I was like, Ah, this is really cool, sitting there eating chicken wings and stuff.”
10. On whether he’d delve into something completely different like Shakespeare… “If I did that now I’d get assassinated,” he says with a rueful laugh. “Everyone would just be like, What the f—?”
9. “He has that thing; he’s magnetic. He’s a real movie star. He reminds me of James Dean.” – Water for Elephants director, Francis Lawrence
8. He admits he doesn’t “do anything, ever”– meaning anything scandalous–although he confesses a certain admiration for Charlie Sheen and his “little escapades.” “I like crazy people who don’t give a f—,” he says.
7. “I get a lot of people wanting to beat me up. Men in bars and stuff. I just leave.” He shrugs.
6. “Are you asking me if I’m really a vampire?,” Pattinson says, laughing, when I join the nosy chorus, asking if his on-screen love mirrors his relationship [with Twilight co-star Kristen Stewart] in real life. As I wait for an answer, Pattinson literally starts squirming. “Yes. Um. No, not really,” he says.
5. “I love Cops–I think it’s my favorite TV show. “God,” he says, laughing, “I sound like such a loser.”
4. On his eating habits… “I’m, like, a compulsive eater,” he says, by way of a revelation. “I’m going to be so fat when I’m older, it’s ridiculous.” He tells a story about wolfing down most of a 40-ounce bad of Pretzel M&M’s while reading a book of essays by David Foster Wallace. “I had a complete breakdown and literally threw them down the toilet,” he says. Keith Richards he isn’t.
3. “Kristen is very focused on being an actress,” Pattinson says, later, of Stewart. “I mean, that’s what she is–she’s an actress. Whereas I–I just don’t really know.”
2. “He can’t escape his looks any more than he can escape the attention of his fans. His face has a kind of gorgeousness one sees in the faces of children, with its perfect pale skin, red lips, large eyes. It’s hard to say it any other way: he’s beautiful.” – Vanity Fair interviewer, Nancy Jo Sales
1. Martin [his newly adopted stray dog] jumps on the couch and shuts his eyes, exhausted. Pattinson pets his head. “There, there, boy, you sleep,” he tells him.